Timing is everything and when it comes to ensuring a successful move, that statement is very much true. Even if it’s not “everything”, using some careful planning and forethought helps “everything” happen efficiently. The point is, as soon as you decide to move, start thinking about the process, explore your options and take action.
First, are you going to move yourself or hire HLM Calgary movers company? It’s best to book the truck or the moving company at least a month ahead and preferably more. Keep in mind that because of more cooperative weather, late spring, early summer and early fall are the most popular times of the year for moves. If you wait to long to book, you may have trouble getting someone during those seasons. Don’t forget, June 30 is the biggest moving day of the year!
Next, are you going to pack or take advantage of professional packing services? If you are thinking DIY, start collecting or buying boxes and packing materials. Remember that professional movers usually sell standard sized boxes that are sturdy and easy to stack, as well as paper that can protect your items without leaving newsprint behind.
Last but not least, what do you want/need to move? Now is the time to purge all of those unnecessary items that have been stuck at the back of the closets and basement corners for months or even years. The less stuff you move, the easier and less expensive the transfer. The following is a handy reference for what to do when.
A Month Before The Move
- De-clutter, sort, pitch, give away, donate to charity, host a sale sale – however you want to do it, make sure to pare down your goods.
- Obtain change of address cards from your local post office.
- Notify magazines, insurance companies, banks, credit card companies, schools and employers of your change of address.
- Start using up food and perishables to minimize what you throw out on moving day.
- If you are moving to a new home or condo that includes appliances ask for the owner’s manuals ahead of time.
1-2 Weeks In Advance
- Make a “survival closet” of items you will need to clean the place once furniture is moved (broom, dustpan, mop) and even snacks that you can grab quickly during the process.
- Either start packing or make sure you movers begins. Label boxes as you pack with both the contents and which room each will go into at your new digs. Write the destination room on the top and sides of each box.
- Schedule disconnects for utilities and phone, but make sure you still have the use of your phone line on moving day. At the same time, arrange for hook-ups at the other end.
- Cancel newspapers, cable TV, security system monitoring and any companies you use for services such as cleaning and lawn maintenance.
- Send out change of address cards.
The Day Before The Move
- Clean out, defrost and dry the fridge and freezer.
- Get to a bank or bank machine and take out enough money to tide you over.
- Pack a last minute bag or box of essentials.
- Arrange for children and pets to be looked after elsewhere on moving day.
On Moving Day
- Double and triple check rooms, closets, the garage and basement to ensure that you have all of your things and the areas are left clean.
- Don’t forget to carry you own valuables, cash and important documents.